October 25, 2006
The Friend Lee Lemma
Friend Lee, who assiduously follows all sporting events, including musk-ox racing in Nuuk Godthab, is of course watching each game of the World Series (of baseball, not poker), well-licked pencil stub in hand (yes, he's a stats freak; are you really surprised?) He suggests that we should all be rooting for the St. Louis Cardinals, because of a bizarre but nevertheless tenuous political connection. I have dubbed it the Friend Lee Lemma:
- In Missouri, Republican incumbent Sen. Jim Talent is running for reelection.
- By contrast, in Michigan, incumbent Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm wants another four years in the job, and incumbent Democratic Sen. Debbie Stabenow wants another six.
- It's a well known fact, which I just made up, that happy, gleeful voters tend to vote for the incumbent. By contrast, miserable, angry, bitter, resentful, hate-filled, and homicidal voters tend to vote for challengers.
- Hence, we want Missourians to be filled with transcendent giddiness, while Michiganites should be weeping and wailing and gnashing their teeth (which is also good for the economics of modern dentistry).
- So therefore, we should all root, root, root for the birds, not the cats. Quod erat demonstrandum, which I think means "also sprach Zarathustra."
This is what Friend Lee spends his days doing, when he's not recalculating every ballplayer's batting average, error average, and body-fat average. Gruesome, isn't it?
Hatched by Dafydd on this day, October 25, 2006, at the time of 7:17 AM
TrackBack URL for this hissing: http://biglizards.net/mt3.36/earendiltrack.cgi/1391
The following hissed in response by: nk
Makes as much sense as having well-organized precinct organizations with lots of campaign workers who knock on people's doors the day before the election with palm cards and have cars and vans to drive their for-sure voters to the polls on election day.
The above hissed in response by: nk at October 25, 2006 8:26 AM
The following hissed in response by: karrde
Hey, the Tigers deserve to win!
(Well, they haven't even been to the Series in 22 years, and haven't even been contenders for anything for about 18 years...)
Actually, I wonder if the World Series will have much effect on the voting.
As it stands, the Tigers did a stellar job of cleaning up the League Pennant race, and have lurched their way to a pair of losses which bracketed one win in the World Series.
With both the Series and the Elections, time will tell.
The above hissed in response by: karrde at October 25, 2006 12:11 PM
The following hissed in response by: Rudolph Carrera
I stumbled into your site through, of all places, Wikipedia. I've got to say this is a treat to read (I'm still rooting for Detroit, though, as I'm just not a Cards fan, and I don't think I ever will be :P).
The site is something else, and I'll do what I can to keep reading.
The above hissed in response by: Rudolph Carrera at October 25, 2006 3:35 PM
The following hissed in response by: DRJ
I'm convinced and I think Friend Lee may even have a future with the RNC. Of course, I was rooting for St. Louis already so Lee is preaching to the choir with me. Come to think of it, I think Lee should test his theory with NFL and NCAA football games through election day. If he works it right, maybe he could justify a tax deduction for game-day R & D: Travel and tickets to games? A big plasma TV to watch them on?
The following hissed in response by: streeter
Once the Padres lost I replaced MLB.com with MuskOxspeed.org on my Favorites bar.
Post a comment
Thanks for hissing in, . Now you can slither in with a comment, o wise. (sign out)(If you haven't hissed a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Hang loose; don't shed your skin!)
© 2005-2009 by Dafydd ab Hugh - All Rights Reserved