November 20, 2008
I Scream Napolitano
I start reading through the AP newswire, and the first thing I see is that Barack H. Obama's "top contender" for Secretary of Homeland Security is -- Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano?
Janet Napolitano cabinet post within grasp
Has the President-Erect gone barking mad? What in the world remotely qualifies her to assume the second most important cabinet position in the war against the Iran/al-Qaeda axis? Oh, wait; perhaps it's somewhere on this list:
- Anita Hill's attorney during the Clarence Thomas lynching;
- Former U.S. Attorney -- in Arizona;
- Former Attorney General of Arizona;
- First female governor elected to follow another female governor;
- First female governor to be re-elected;
- Would be first female Secretary of Homeland Security;
- Would be first sexually ambiguous Secretary of Homeland Security;
- Endorsed Barack Obama for president during the primaries and joined his transition team.
- Strongly opposes security fence along U.S.-Mexico border;
For some reason, one of these career highlights jumps out at me as likely the most important qualification of all. Can anyone quess which? I am shocked, but not surprised, to discover that Obama considers the Secretary of Homeland Security to be a sinecure to be bestowed upon an early supporter, like ambassador to Luxembourg.
Looking back, there were two previously confirmed Secretaries of Homeland Security and one acting secretary:
- Tom Ridge, first Secretary 2003-2005: Combat veteran of Vietnam and Assistant to the President for Homeland Security from 2001–2003.
- James Loy, acting Secretary 2005: Admiral in the United States Coast Guard; 21st Commandant of the Coast Guard; Administrator for the Transportation Security Administration; Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security.
- Michael Chertoff, Secretary 2005-2009 (est): Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division of the Justice Department; led the prosecution of Zacarias Moussaoui; crafted much of the "legal war" against al-Qaeda and other Islamist terrorist organizations; authored much of the USA-PATRIOT Act of 2001.
To this list, perhaps we shall shortly add...
- Janet Napolitano, Secretary 2009-?: Endorsed Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton, soon to be her fellow cabinet secretary.
Add this one to the list of Obamappointments that already includes Attorney General Eric "September 10th" Holder, Secretary of State Hillary "Climber" Clinton, and Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom "DaschilleryCare" Daschle, and I think we have a very clear -- and disturbing -- vision of the upcoming administration: a return to treating terrorism as just another crime, like carjacking or credit-card fraud; the re-erection of the wall of separation between intelligence and law enforcement; a return to Clintonian, September-10th foreign policy; and the resurrection of the slain hydra of universal socialized medicine (should've cauterized those stumps).
Perhaps if we're lucky, Treasury Secretary Barney Frank, Education Secretary William Ayres, and Energy Secretary Ralph Nader will join the crowd.
Is "forward to the past" the sort of change we want to believe in?
Hatched by Dafydd on this day, November 20, 2008, at the time of 10:25 PM
TrackBack URL for this hissing: http://biglizards.net/mt3.36/earendiltrack.cgi/3355
The following hissed in response by: FredTownWard
Dafydd, what do you mean, "HAS the President-Erect gone barking mad? (emphasis added)"
Nothing would make me happier than to be completely wrong about this, but I submit that there was ample evidence during the campaign that the President-Elect WAS barking mad.
What kind of a man, knowing that he is only a man, allows himself to be worshipped by crazed supporters as Obama did? Who instead of discouraging such lunatic behavior, REVELS in it, BASKS in it even? Who has his chair on his campaign plane embroidered with "President"? Who designs his own presidential seal? Who accepts his nomination on a stage setting worthy of a god? Who combines an ego the size of a planet with, not a thin resume, but rather an EMPTY resume, empty of a single thing that can be dignified with the term "accomplishment"?
I am very much afraid that those who are assuming we have elected a slick and clever conman are engaged in wishful thinking.
I think instead that we may very well have elected Caligula.
The following hissed in response by: necromancer
I surely hope not. Big Lizard keep up the good work that you do and the rest of you that comment here also do the same.
The following hissed in response by: Xpressions
Well with left-wing illuminati politicians like her, we know what direction this country is going in, and it's not up people.
Post a comment
Thanks for hissing in, . Now you can slither in with a comment, o wise. (sign out)(If you haven't hissed a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Hang loose; don't shed your skin!)
© 2005-2009 by Dafydd ab Hugh - All Rights Reserved