September 3, 2008

A Female T.R.

Hatched by Dave Ross

She’s a pistol, and she’s packing one. Just as it took Nixon to go to China, apparently it takes a Republican to name a truly appealing woman to a national ticket. And she’s just as combative as any Democrat woman has ever been, except that she’s not afraid to wear skirts. That may be because she actually looks good in one.

Republicans have never had a problem supporting strong women, we just don’t like them to remind us of our ex-wives or mothers-in-law. Consider, if you must, the Geraldine Ferraros, Hillary Clintons, Barbara Boxers and Diane Feinsteins. They make a vow of celibacy seem appealing.

Sarah Palin, on the other hand, reminds you of the dish that you always wanted to steal a kiss from, except that Governor Palin could kick your butt!

I was sitting at a barbecue with five men on Saturday whose combined ages were probably about 400. One of them looked over at me and remarked. “We’re forming a club of guys who think that Sarah Palin is hot!”

Of course, it’s always been a canard that the GOP was hostile to women and minorities, despite the misinformation campaign that the Democrats have waged all these years. The first woman named to the Supreme Court was nominated by a Republican. The first and second black secretaries of state have been Republicans. Bobby Jindal, the incredibly competent governor of Louisiana, an Indian (of India), is wildly popular among the GOP.

John McCain (who, I want to remind everyone, including myself, that I still hate) is well known for his admiration of Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt, before he was named to be McKinley’s vice president -- in part to get him out of the hair of the New York political establishment -- was, among other things, a passionate outdoorsman and practitioner of the strenuous life. He was a reformer who wasn’t afraid to go after anybody, who made enemies right and left, who took on the powers that be and, largely, beat them up. He littered the New York political scene with his broken enemies. He was also a devoted husband who reputedly never looked at another woman, and had tons of kids. And he was a war hero.

Whom does this remind you of?

That’s right. Sarah Palin is a female T.R. She’s such a good shot that she dismissed her state police guard since she figured she could probably wing anybody who tried to mess with her. When warned that the next few weeks could be rough, she is said to have remarked that in Alaska they have a saying, “the difference between a hockey mom (which she is) and a pit bull is the lipstick.” She is a former beauty queen. She loves to hunt big animals. She is an athlete who supposedly earned the nickname “barracuda. ” She is, in short, a man’s man. Except for the beauty queen part.

Although probably the best example of her innate toughness is that she consciously chose to bring a Down Syndrome child to term and raise him. Oh yes, she also has a son going to Iraq to fight.

So, don’t expect her to be ruffled by this kerfuffle about her 17 year old unwed daughter being pregnant, or the fact that she dismissed a state police commissioner who refused to fire a state trooper who happened to be her brother-in-law and happened to have threatened her sister with violence. This is Alaska, the final frontier, after all. I’m surprised she didn’t shoot the miscreant personally.

Yes, her family has a past. But don’t tell me, and don’t tell the great majority of blue collar, pickup truck drivin', beer drinkin’, church goin’ Americans she is likely to appeal to, that her past doesn’t compare well with the effete Barack Obama or his mouthy surrogate, Joe Biden. Let the games begin!

Hatched by Dave Ross on this day, September 3, 2008, at the time of 4:42 PM

TrackBack URL for this hissing: http://biglizards.net/mt3.36/earendiltrack.cgi/3229

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A Female T.R.:

» Sarahphobia: Fear the Teddy! from Big Lizards
First, John Hinderaker at Power Line posted about a Peggy Noonan column in which she noted that John S. McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, "could become a transformative political presence;" Noonan goes on to say, "So they [the feminist Left]... [Read More]

Tracked on September 3, 2008 6:01 PM

Comments

The following hissed in response by: Karmi

Good post! I'm going to cut Geraldine Ferraro some slack here, since she did have the nerve to stand up against the black racists who now dominate the Democratic Party...knowing that they and many marxists and sexists and the MSM would also come down on her.

A Female T.R.

I agree...Sarah Palin is one tough Woman!

The above hissed in response by: Karmi [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2008 5:07 PM

The following hissed in response by: Eilish

Thanks. I was wondering if I was the only one who saw the similarities! I have been reading the excellent TR biography, Mornings on Horseback, so I guess I have that in my head, but I almost immediately thought of TR when I first heard of the pick (after I jumped out of my chair, of course!) I feel fortunate to have been able to watch the first national speech of this exceptional woman this evening. The future of the Republicans is (I believe) in excellent and well-manicured hands! Now I must go...I have the urge to skin a caribou.

The above hissed in response by: Eilish [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2008 9:33 PM

The following hissed in response by: Geoman

I ran into Sarah Palin a couple of times socially (what can I say, Alaska is a small state).

She's the real deal folks. Honest, friendly, engaging. Smart. Funny. Charming. She may be wrong sometimes, but she always tries to do what is right.

Most of the bad stuff you may read about Sarah originate from one source - Andrew Halcro. He's a Republican with a lot of cash who ran aginst Sarah and lost. He's hated her ever since, and does his best to dig up trash on her.

Oh, and her speech last night? Mostly from memory. The teleprompter reportedly broke about half-way through.

It's nice to have a deep bench.

The above hissed in response by: Geoman [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 4, 2008 8:49 AM

The following hissed in response by: Fritz

You are right Dave. The far left has become completely unhinged over the Palin nomination to the extent that some of their slanders are completely ridiculous. For example, to believe the one about the baby being the daughter's would require that we also believe that all the media and all the Democrats in Alaska were willingly covering up for Palin. Only in the deranged minds of the left could that ever be considered a charge in which there was any possibility of truth, yet the left's mindless robots have been out in force posting comments on conservative blogs charging that very thing.

The above hissed in response by: Fritz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 4, 2008 7:08 PM

The following hissed in response by: Fritz

Sorry, but I hit a wrong key before I was done with my comment.

Anyhow, Sarah Palin has more than enough strength to be compared with Teddy. She will shrug off the stupid attacks from the left and turn them back on the fools who make them. I also suspect that she has raised her family to where they will handle the pressure well. Go Sarah. While I won't say she makes voting for McCain a pleasure, she certainly helps.

The above hissed in response by: Fritz [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 4, 2008 7:18 PM