June 23, 2008

Obama Hints That "Somebody" Will Mention That "He's Black" - But Which Somebody?

Everybody is reporting this little racist meme worm that slithered from the lips of Barack H. Obama on Friday:

We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid. They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?"

Hm... let's see if we can guess what Obama implies here: He darkly hints that John S. McCain, well-known racist and xenophobe -- just look how he's always attacking immigrants! -- will (not "might" but "will") base his campaign against Obama on reminding voters that Obama has "a funny name" (he's not one of us)... and is black.

Fortunately, Obama is "above black and white" and "beyond race."

So how long will it be before a series of thuggish, racist e-mails, street-mailings, and YouTubes crudely attacking Barack Obama really does materialize? My guess is that it will wait until the election itself looms; possibly one week beforehand, just like the DUI hit on George W. Bush in 2000.

Why wait? For a very good reason: The perpetrators of that series of attacks do not want there to be enough time to discover the actual source of the "attacks"... which will originate from some radical leftist group hoping for a "backlash" against McCain.

Obama as much as begs for a "false-flag" operation by his phraseology: "They're going to try to make you afraid. They're going to try to make you afraid of me." Translation: If you see any racist or xenophobic ads, you will know that they put them up. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... blame McCain, blame McConnell, blame the racist, fascist Republicans!

I am about 70% convinced that somebody on the Left will attempt just such a dirty trick. If it happens, I only hope that McCain and the Republicans will (a) categorically denounce such attacks (that takes no courage at all); but also (b) have the guts to immediately raise the strong likelihood that the real author is an Obama supporter trying to smear McCain and the GOP.

I don't know if he will have the nerve; no GOP nominee in the last two decades would have done so: Republicans are too skittish about grabbing a live wire with their bare hands. Let's hope that McCain has learned enough from his rather eventful life to understand a critical fact: The charge of racism is so heinous, not even innocence is a defense.

The only defense is an immediate credible counter-accusation that if Democrats want to find the real racists, they should look in a mirror. After all, so far in this election cycle, the only candidate to raise the point of Obama's race has been -- Hillary Clinton, who noted (correctly) that the only reason Obama was ahead of her in the delegate count was his overwhelming support by black voters.

In fact, to even raise an unsupported, fabricated accusation of racism trivializes real racism -- and it hurts blacks; just as Tawana Brawley's and Crystal Gail Mangum's false charges of racism and rape trivialized both evils, thus hurting both blacks and women who have been vicimized by real racism or actual rape.

McCain's rapid-response team had better get those counter-accusation ads ready now, so he'll be prepared to hit back before the first slime has a chance to settle and change voters' perceptions.

Hatched by Dafydd on this day, June 23, 2008, at the time of 4:06 PM

TrackBack URL for this hissing: http://biglizards.net/mt3.36/earendiltrack.cgi/3089

Comments

The following hissed in response by: Roy Lofquist

Dear Dafydd,

This could turn out to be a major disaster for Obama. I base this on observing people for quite a while. We have come a long, long way since I first became aware of the race issue more than 50 years ago.

I grew up a middle class WASP, formative years in the Boston area, then California, The Army, Arizona, Connecticut and now Florida. In the fifties I was aware of quite a bit of prejudice. But it was far more ethnic than racial.

The civil rights movement focused our attention on the racial issue. We have managed to make racial prejudice unacceptable in polite society. About the only expressions I have heard about race in the last 20 years or so have revolved around the black separatists. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton et. al. are viewed as troublemakers - the real impediments to racial harmony.

Most people I know who lived through these times feel a sense of satisfaction and joy that we have moved this far in our society. All things being equal they would vote for a black man just for the good feeling about our country. However, if Obama's comment sounds to them like something Jackson or Sharpton might say it could be a huge turnoff.

Regards,
Roy

The above hissed in response by: Roy Lofquist [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 23, 2008 6:26 PM

The following hissed in response by: KarmiCommunist

Obama spent 20 years in a racist church...he is the racist, and is playing the race-card.

The above hissed in response by: KarmiCommunist [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 23, 2008 8:53 PM

The following hissed in response by: BarbaraS

I grew up in the south and have a lot of friends who are black. These friends are the ones who have tried to get ahead and accomplish something with their lives. If I have heard it once I have heard it a thousand times whatever disaster visited some African Americans no matter what it is they say "it's because I'm black". This has been the mantra for everything bad that has happened to them. People have heard this bilge ad nauseum for years. Whites don't have the luxury of blaming anything on the color of their skins. If they mess up, it all falls on their own shoulders. Personal responsibility you know.

I feel that Obama made a mistake when he brought race into the equation. He said in the past he is above race and it would not be an issue in his campaign. Now he brings it up before anyone else has mentioned it. But yes, I think this campaign or supporters will push a deluge of racist e-mails and ads. The dems are full of dirty tricks. Ends justify the means, don't cha know?

The above hissed in response by: BarbaraS [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2008 12:23 PM

The following hissed in response by: BarbaraS

To show an example of my point one of the professors at Columbia teaching college has been fired for plagarism. She made a statement to the press that she was fired because "I am black". That racism is rampant at Columbia. I find that hard to beleive that that universityis racist. This is just another incident of African Americans calling the race card. They are the only ones doing so. The only time I hear of racism it is the blacks say something.

The above hissed in response by: BarbaraS [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2008 12:28 PM

The following hissed in response by: Geoman

"He darkly hints..." Hey, is that a racist comment? You know, some of those code words I hear so much about? I think so. Shame on you.

I've noticed this on your site many times. For example "Obama is unqualified". That is racist, since you are just trying to keep the black man down. "His middle name is Hussein" That is xenophobic and racist. Okay, I'm not sure you ever said the last one, but it is just the kind of thing you might have said, and that is the same as actually saying it. Climate of fear and intimidation and all that.

Can't we all just get along and elect Obama?

The above hissed in response by: Geoman [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2008 1:55 PM

The following hissed in response by: Bookworm

Even before Obama started saying explicitly what his acolytes were merely hinting, I tried to inoculate conservatives against that racist meme here.

The above hissed in response by: Bookworm [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 24, 2008 5:11 PM

The following hissed in response by: Chris Hunt

The strategy you outlined would have been a good one, but I doubt if Obama's followers have the patience to wait until just before the election to pull it off. I think you'll start seeing the racist meme very soon. In that case, I have to second Roy, that this may well backfire, because white people really are tired of being called racist for no discernible reason. I would suspect that some black people are sick of it also, maybe even a lot of them.

The above hissed in response by: Chris Hunt [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2008 4:45 AM

The following hissed in response by: Neo

And did I mention he’s half white ?

The above hissed in response by: Neo [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 25, 2008 12:51 PM