June 15, 2007

The Mobile-Phone Opera Guy From Special Report

A clip from the British show Britain's Got Talent (as seen yesterday on Brit Hume).

The show is, as you have probably surmised, a nationwide talent search in the UK; not limited to singing (like Pop Idol, or its U.S. sister show, American Idol) or dancing (like So You Think You Can Dance), contestants can come out and juggle, or play an instrument, or, it appears, do any barmy thing they want... so long as they're willing to brave catcalls from the live studio audience and buzzers from the judges (like the gong in the old Gong Show).

This chap is a mobile-phone salesman who sings opera in his off hours, and here is his audition. I noticed a glitch when he sings the highest note; but it's very brief, and he recovers well. Considering that he has (supposedly) never been trained, a brilliant performance.

I hope that as he progresses through the show, no matter how far he gets, he at least gains enough attention that a serious opera singing maestro will take him under wing and give him the training he truly deserves.

Oh, here it is; the clip is completely work-safe, unless your boss doesn't like operatic singing:

Britain's Got Talent - a Star Is Born

Bon appétit!

Hatched by Dafydd on this day, June 15, 2007, at the time of 5:42 AM

TrackBack URL for this hissing: http://biglizards.net/mt3.36/earendiltrack.cgi/2175

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Mobile-Phone Opera Guy From Special Report:

» Appearances Can Be Deceiving from Flopping Aces
I have stayed away from all these shows in which people sing, juggle, or do whatever they can to win the prize.  Just not for me.  Could never figure out the fascination with American Idol.  But Dafydd at Big Lizards... [Read More]

Tracked on June 15, 2007 10:16 AM

Comments

The following hissed in response by: SallyVee

Isn't this guy sweet? Potts did have some training in Italy, and then was selected for a masters class with Pavarotti. His career has been stalled by health problems then a motorbike accident in 2003. He felt like this contest was his last shot to rekindle a singing career, at age 36.

More here:

His second performance is here... the tuxedo makes a nice difference - lousy sound quality though:

The finale will be held this Sunday. Apparently this is a contest to win $250,000 and be chosen to perform for the Queen.

See:

The above hissed in response by: SallyVee [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 15, 2007 6:14 AM

The following hissed in response by: Caltechgirl

That second performance just blew me away. I loved how the judges were thinking "Opera, right." and then he opened his mouth and they were all moved. Funny how Opera does that.

The above hissed in response by: Caltechgirl [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 15, 2007 11:14 AM

The following hissed in response by: Daisy Cutter

That's amazing, Daf. We all know it's moving, intriguing, and incredible for a number of reasons, but I wish I could quantify it exactly.

Incredible. Funny, but this cell-phone-selling opera singer gives you hope for Britain.

Daf, this is what I meant about this being a great blog. Even when you're wrong, I am listening. Thanks for putting this up.

The above hissed in response by: Daisy Cutter [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 15, 2007 1:22 PM

The following hissed in response by: snochasr

Thanks so much for this. I keep playing it over and over again. Just the expressions on the judges' faces are fascinating. I heard a couple of small wavers in the piece, but most people wouldn't notice and wouldn't care.

The above hissed in response by: snochasr [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 15, 2007 4:31 PM

The following hissed in response by: JenLArt

What a voice!
The Royal Opera Company should snap him up.
He's so serious...and I wish we could get his teeth fixed (typical Brit problem?), but the world is always in need of good tenors.

The above hissed in response by: JenLArt [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 15, 2007 6:20 PM