September 16, 2005

First official post....

...and a huge thank you to all you folks hardy enough to slog though so many entries up to this point!

Well the day you thought (and hoped and prayed) would never come has arrived. Consider this the official cocktail party for the debut of California's premier new site for incisive observation, decisive opinion-mongering, and obsessive-compulsive blogging behavior: Welcome to Big Lizards!

My name is Dafydd ab Hugh, and I might not be completely unknown to some of you. I guest blogged on Patterico's Pontifications (thirty-three posts) and Captain's Quarters (fifty-one posts), which were collectively seen by about sixty-four thousand distinct readers, I would guesstimate. So the eight visitors a day I'm likely to get here at Big Lizards might include a couple who have actually read those posts whose subjects inexplicably began "Dafydd: ". (I hope you two aren't the ones who kept sending comments asking why Captain Ed was always blogging about some weird "resort" called Dafydd...!) I will, in fact, be reposting some of those scaley, old classics; the primary category, oddly enough, will be Scaley Classics.

I've also sold over 1.8 million books; so my name, at least, might be familiar.

By the way, the name Dafydd ab Hugh is Welsh, not Arabic; and no, before you ask, I don't speak a word of Cymric. Well, one word, I guess, and the last sentence just exhausted my Cymric vocabulary (assuming I even used it correctly).

For full disclosure, for the two or three of you who don't already know and haven't already factored it into your wary responses, I am a libertarian-conservative, anarcho-capitalist, erstwhile Discordian, secular, Darwinian, politically non-Euclidean science-fiction and fantasy writer. I've published eighteen novels: some Star Trek novels, the four Doom videogame-related novels (co-authored with Brad Linaweaver, my partner in obscurantism on this website, though not too much on this blog page), a trilogy of young-adult adventure novels (the Swept Away series from HarperYA), and some other science fiction and fantasy. For those idiots like me who enjoy lists, I'll stick a complete bibliography of my book publications at the end of this interminable first post.

I started as a pro-techology, pro-science secular conservative; a brief stint in the Navy made me into an anarchist. Then repeated contact with liberals and lefties -- they infest my professional organization, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America -- wrenched me back around to... well, I'm not a conservative, but I caucus with them. Think of me as the polar opposite of Bernie Sanders, the unspeakable Socialist representative from Vermont who caucuses with the Democrats. I support the war against militant Islamism in all its glory, especially including the Iraq War (and hoping for an upcoming war with Iran!); I want lower taxes, a fully privatized Social Security ("fully" as in 100%, not the measley fraction President Bush proposed); and even though I'm a Jewish agnostic, not a Christian agnostic, I applaud the fact that America is a Christian nation, and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

But I believe strongly in contemporary theories about evolution. I also support nearly absolute drug legalization, the only exception being antibiotics, because stupid misuse of antibiotics breeds super-resistent bacteria that will kill the rest of us. I support nearly absolute gun legalization (of purchase, ownership, and concealed carry; open carry is an invitation to a duel, however).

And this is the one and only time I will run through this litany. This is the only post that will ever have this category, so you can always refer back if you forget where I stand on one of these issues (assuming you care). Forewarned is forlorned.

I am not a lawyer, though I sometimes play one, to the irritation or hysteria of real lawyers when I get everything wrongwards. My degrees are in math, which is why I'm a writer.

As for the rest of my crackpottery... read on! And on, and on, and on.

Novel Bibliography for Dafydd ab Hugh (publication date and publisher in parentheses):

1. Heroing (Baen 1987)

2. Warriorwards (Baen 1990)

3. Fallen Heroes - Star Trek DS9 #5 (Pocket 1994)

4. Arthur War Lord (part I) (AvoNova 1994)

5. Far Beyond the Wave (part 2) (AvoNova 1994)

6. Doom 1 - Knee-Deep In the Dead, co-author Brad Linaweaver (Pocket 1995)

7. Doom 2 - Hell On Earth, co-author Brad Linaweaver (Pocket 1995)

8. Doom 3 - Infernal Sky, co-author Brad Linaweaver (Pocket 1996)

9. Doom 4 - Endgame, co-author Brad Linaweaver (Pocket 1996)

10. Balance of Power - Star Trek NextGen #33 (Pocket 1996)

11. Swept Away (HarperYA 1996)

12. Swept Away - the Mountain (HarperYA 1996)

13. Swept Away - the Pit (HarperYA 1996)

14. The Final Fury - Star Trek Invasion book 4 - Star Trek Voyager #9 (Pocket 1996)

15. Vengeance - Star Trek DS9 #22 (Pocket 1998)

16. Rebels book 1 - Star Trek DS9 #24 (Pocket 1999)

17. Rebels book 2 - Star Trek DS9 #25 (Pocket 1999)

18. Rebels book 3 - Star Trek DS9 #26 (Pocket 1999)

Hatched by Dafydd on this day, September 16, 2005, at the time of 10:54 PM

TrackBack URL for this hissing: http://biglizards.net/mt3.36/earendiltrack.cgi/28

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference First official post....:

» A Lizard is Born from bRight & Early
I realize that the number of readers here who are not also regular readers of Captain's Quarters and/or Patterico's Pontifications in infinitely small, especially if you take away those who find their way here via some unexplainable google search. Tho... [Read More]

Tracked on September 17, 2005 8:47 AM

» I didn’t know he was Jewish from Yourish.com
Dafydd Ab Hugh, whom I first “met” on the message boards on GEnie, I think, has his own blog. Duly noted. And no, really. I didn’t know he was Jewish. ... [Read More]

Tracked on September 17, 2005 11:27 AM

» Yet Another . . . from Coffee with CrankyBeach
. . . new blog on the block. The latest? Big Lizards, by science fiction and fantasy writer Dafydd ab Hugh (the name is Welsh, not something else). He has... [Read More]

Tracked on September 18, 2005 10:46 AM

» Big Lizards: Check Out and Stop by This New Blog from FullosseousFlap's Dental Blog
Stop by and check out Dafydd ab Hugh’s new blog, Big Lizards. Flap knows you will be glad you did. ... [Read More]

Tracked on September 18, 2005 2:54 PM

Comments

The following hissed in response by: betsybounds

Well Dafydd, I'm excited. I've followed your posts at the Captain's Quarters and Patterico for a while, and we seem to share many opinions. Well, except that I don't find Darwin entirely persuasive. I don't advocate ID, but I think it has some good critiques of evolution on offer. My degrees are in geology, so I've heard the drill and found it a bit wanting.

I'll be adding you to my regular blog rotation--this is going to be fun!

The above hissed in response by: betsybounds [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 6:51 AM

The following hissed in response by: Dan S

'bout time. Look forward to it. We've argued elsewhere (though I think mostly through misunderstanding), and I've read your posts everywhere they have appeared. You're always worth reading and I hope you remain that way (for a long time to come).

Already steering friends your way.

Best wishes.

The above hissed in response by: Dan S [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 6:59 AM

The following hissed in response by: Texas Jack

I've known your name (and appreciated your writing) from your first two books. Very pleased to see you open your own blog, since we seem to agree so well. Good fortune to you!

The above hissed in response by: Texas Jack [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 9:53 AM

The following hissed in response by: badger1970

I recognized your name from somewhere besides CQ or PLB but when you mentioned Star Trek *ding, ding* the light went on and quickly found DS9 Book 5. Good luck on your blog, I'll be checking in quite frequently.

The above hissed in response by: badger1970 [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 10:11 AM

The following hissed in response by: mrmurph

Dafydd,

Another fan from CQ, who is glad to add you to his favorites list--below the Captain, HughH and Michelle, but near at hand to be read faithfully.

Joe Murphy

The above hissed in response by: mrmurph [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 10:17 AM

The following hissed in response by: Stephen M. St. Onge

Congratulations, Daffyd, glad you have your own blog now, and I'll be stopping by regularly.

Stephen M. "Fat Steve's Blatherings" St. Onge

The House of Saud Must Be Destroyed!

The above hissed in response by: Stephen M. St. Onge [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 10:34 AM

The following hissed in response by: Jason Coleman

I've also caught your posts at Captain's a few times as well, will definately be checking back.

The above hissed in response by: Jason Coleman [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 12:46 PM

The following hissed in response by: McBain

First- congrats on the new blog. Glad to see it, having read your posts on other sites.

Second- I'm a big Arthurian-legends fan, so I recognized that your name is Welsh in origin. Curious as to whether you use the Welsh pronunciation though. How do you pronounce your first name?

Cheers-
-McBain

The above hissed in response by: McBain [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 12:48 PM

The following hissed in response by: niletheriver

You are bookmarked my man...er I mean lizard.

The above hissed in response by: niletheriver [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 1:24 PM

The following hissed in response by: Bill Quick

'Bout damned time you got your own joint, Dafydd.

The above hissed in response by: Bill Quick [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 5:29 PM

The following hissed in response by: Steel

I used to fish with a bunch of ex pat Welshmen off the coast of Oregon.

They all moved to Australia.

Lucky sssssstiffs.

Nice site.

One suggestion ... the contrast between the text and the background could be more pronounced.

Us old folks can't see for sh*t.

The above hissed in response by: Steel [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 6:30 PM

The following hissed in response by: sulla

I'm a fan from early in your writing days (DS9 and Doom), and I blinked with happy surprise when I saw your hard-to-forget name in a Captains Quarters comment section.

In the months since, I haven't had to blink, as seeing you comment and then post frequently, there and on Patterico, led simply to knowing smiles.

And now BigLizards. Excellent.

Best wishes for great success. I will return often.

The above hissed in response by: sulla [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 8:44 PM

The following hissed in response by: Alex Nunez

Best of luck with your new blog, Dafydd. Big Lizards figures to be another Bloglines entry that will hinder workplace productivity for many of us. lol

The above hissed in response by: Alex Nunez [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 10:30 PM

The following hissed in response by: JayReding

Ah, so you are the same Dafydd ab Hugh who wrote the very first DS9 novel I picked up all those years ago! I was wondering that for a while.

I have a feeling I have another must-read blog to add to my list...

The above hissed in response by: JayReding [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 17, 2005 10:53 PM

The following hissed in response by: cdquarles

Hi Dafydd,

Congratulations! I am a Science Fiction fan. I have read nearly everything Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein have written. I have Douglas Adams and Robert Niven in my library.

Keep up the good work,

Charles

PS, I will have to sample your work now...

The above hissed in response by: cdquarles [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 18, 2005 12:30 PM

The following hissed in response by: MTF

Dafydd,

Have you checked out http://dailyablution.blogs.com/ ?

Great blog! I would have sent this via email, but I couldn't find a contact page...

The above hissed in response by: MTF [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 22, 2006 8:43 AM